Paul Serbinowski focuses his practice primarily on preparing and prosecuting international and US patent applications, counseling, opinion work and licensing.
Prior to joining Abel IP, Paul worked as a partner and patent attorney of IP boutique law firms in the Midwest. .
Paul has worked to provide education about patent law in straightforward terms to enable in-house patent counsel, corporate officers, non-patent lawyers and scientists to cut through the complexity of legal and technical jargon so as to enable them to make better business decisions. He is a frequent speaker and author about interesting news in US patent law and currently publishes a quarterly newsletter.
Paul has represented US and foreign companies and universities of all sizes in a wide range of patent matters and technologies.
Areas of Experience
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications
- Appeals before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board of the USPTO
- Counseling clients on non-infringement and invalidity issues
- Counseling clients on patent portfolio strategy
- Managing US and foreign patent portfolios
- IP Due Diligence
- Patent Licensing
- Life sciences
- Small molecule pharmaceuticals
- Biomedical devices
- Chemical compositions and processes
- Mechanical apparatuses
- Polymer Compositions and processes
- Oil and Gas
- Liquid Crystal Displays
- Solar cells
- Inorganic materials
- Ohio and New York State Bar
- United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, Licensed 1990
- Case Western Reserve University, M.S. in Biochemistry 2006
- Widener University School of Law, J.D. 1994
- Alfred University, B.S. in Ceramic Engineering 1989
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, IP Section (Officer 2014-2015)
- Cleveland Rotary Club (Community Service Committee involved in working on the Redline Greenway) 2011-2015