Angel Herrera focuses his practice on all aspects of patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, and unfair competition law, with an emphasis in patent prosecution in the chemical arts. His experience includes:
- Significant patent work preparing and prosecuting US and international patents related to polymer blends and films; polymer production processes; catalyst systems, metallocenes, gas sweetening processes, fuel blends, pharmaceutical compositions, biological compound detection, engineered abrasives and grains, fuel cells, scintillator materials, silicon wafer processing, and advanced ceramics.
- Particular expertise developed in managing complex company-critical worldwide patent families.
- Patent litigation support including Hatch-Waxman Paragraph IV certification analysis.
- Development of trade secret protection strategies designed to preserve trade secrets and mitigate client risk during State and Federal litigation, including negotiating scope of discovery and entry of protective orders.
- Management of electronic discovery and privilege log preparation.
- Trademark preparation and prosecution
- Copyright preparation and enforcement
Prior to joining Abel IP, Angel practiced at various IP boutiques in Austin, including Daffer McDaniel and Conley Rose, and before coming to Austin, practiced with Bryan Cave in New York City. Prior to becoming an attorney, Angel worked as a chemical engineer with several engineering companies in San Antonio, Texas, including Science Applications International, Inc. (SAIC), where he developed broad experience in process analysis, chemical substitution, pollution prevention, and environmental compliance.
Areas of Experience
- Intellectual Property
- Patent Preparation and Prosecution
- Trademark Preparation and Prosecution
- IP Litigation
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of New York
- Licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association
- J.D., Master of Intellectual Property, Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, NH, 2000
- J.D., Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, NH 2000
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 1992